Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Netflix 41: The Sandlot 2



After being burned by both "Aladdin and The Return of Jafar" and "Aladdin and The King of Theives", I've done my best to avoid any sort of direct-to-video sequels, as tempting as they might be. But one day, while browsing the list of upcoming DVDs on the web, I was shocked to see this one. So it quickly jumped to the top of my Netflix queue. "The Sandlot" is a benchmark movie for boys of my generation. No matter what he shows up in, poor Patrick Renna will always be "The Great Hambino".

The reason why I was willing to give this direct to video sequel a chance was because it had the same writer/director, and you know why: IT'S THE SAME FUCKING MOVIE! EXCEPT SHITTY! It's like someone took the script to "The Sandlot" and ran it through a broken photocopier. You know, the one at the library that always messes up just what you need to know for a test. That one.

The only good thing about this movie is that someone found a kid who is the spitting image of the late Jonathan Brandis. Someone quick, sign this kid up for the direct to video sequel to "Sidekicks". God knows Chuck Norris needs the money.